Tannehill Historical State Park has more than 45 historical buildings from the 1800's.
These historic buildings have been restored to their original state, each with it's own unique history.
It houses cotton ginning equipment including a rare 1881 Gullette gin head with feeder and condenser.
The gin house utilized mules or horses to turn its machinery beneath the structure.
The John Scott Young Country Store, which was in use from 1905 to 1941, was moved into the park from Highway 5 near Brent in 1991.
Today it serves not only as the registration point for campers but supplies grocery items and drinks.
The grist mill dam is an interesting spot for tourists and fishermen alike as is the Tapawingo Iron Truss Bridge (1902).Among the most popular hiking trails are the Slave Quarters Trail, the old Iron Haul Road (which runs past the Slave Cemetery), the Furnace Trail, Grist Mill Trail and the recently restored Tram Track.A concrete pathway, added under a federal enhancement grant, also extends from the old spring to Farley Field, a distance of about one mile.The park’s headquarters finds a home in the 1879 Edwards House, once the home of one of Trussville’s first physicians, Dr. Abandoned for many years as a ghost house along Highway 11, it was moved into the park in 1993 and fully restored.The two-story vernacular-style farm house also serves as a welcome center.You can also purchase corn meal ground at Hall’s Mill here as well as gifts and souvenirs.The John Wesley Hall Grist Mill and Cotton Gin operated at this site from 1867 to 1931.Founded in 1830 as a small plant for smelting iron, Tannehill expanded during the Civil War into a large battery of three blast furnaces capable of producing 22 tons of pig iron daily for Confederate military needs.The ironworks, along with a dozen other such facilities in Alabama, were badly damaged in the closing months of the Civil War.The Iron & Steel Museum of Alabama is a southeastern regional interpretive center on 19th century iron making technology featuring both belt driven machines of the 1800s and tools and products of the times.It focuses on the Roupes Valley Ironworks at Tannehill which operated nearby, first as a bloomery beginning in 1830 and later as an important battery of charcoal blast furnaces during the Civil War.